Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Doctor Appointment Fun

I have lived in Pottstown for approximately three years. In those three years it never occurred to me to change my primary physician to a physician who practiced medicine in the town I live. Whenever, I was sick I would just call my old doctor's office, tell them my symptoms and hope to heck they wouldn't make me drive down for an in office visit. An in office visit meant a drive down 422 and then down 73 which is over an hour long. I hate driving into the city. Now with the arrival of the Sweet Pea it finally occurred to me to change doctors. So I did. To a practice right here in town. Less than five minutes from my home. Why did I not do this say oh three years ago???   

To tell the truth, I liked my old doctor alot. He was nice and he listened to his patients and took time to speak with you until you understood or felt comfortable with a diagnosis. But the problem was he was over an hours drive from me now and his practice is huge now and the wait times were atrociously long. Sometimes I would be waiting to see the doctor for over an hour and a half. It was just getting ridiculous. I could not handle the drive and the waiting with a six month old in tow. So it was time for a new doctor! Plus the fact that I have had the dry, scaly, itchy red swollen thing happening on my hand for over a month now and I was beginning to fear it was some weird flesh eating disease.

I have to admit going to the doctor has always felt like being sent to the Principal's office to me. I have had some really bad doctors in the past (this also explains my unwillingness to change doctors ) . I will admit that in my late twenties thru early thirties I had gained an enormous amount of weight and some not so nice doctors were very harsh with me about it. I literally had one former doctor say to me I "would never have children and if by some miracle I did get pregnant at that weight how would I take care of a child??"  Thus, I have some fears with new doctors and what they will say about my weight or my health Not that I am heavy in that regard anymore and I have changed my lifestyle to include healthy eating and regular exercise but still that fear lingers. 

So today was my first appointment with the new doctor and it went really well. Whew!! What a relief that was! I had a full physical and everything looked okay. The doctor was fine about everything and said I looked good! YAY!! 


But I do have to have some blood work done as a routine check because I may be a bit anemic. But all in all the first appointment at the new practice went really well. The staff were very nice and the doctor was very reassuring.

Oh, and the mystery ailment on my hand that I thought was a flesh eating disease??? Just eczema.



2 comments:

  1. Plus the fact that I have had the dry, scaly, itchy red swollen thing happening on my hand for over a month now and I was beginning to fear it was some weird flesh eating disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am heavy in that regard anymore and I have changed my lifestyle to include healthy eating and regular exercise but still that fear lingers.

    ReplyDelete