Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nursery In Progress

So I have been diligently working on our little nursery for a few weeks now. And when I say little..I mean little! We have a small house to begin with so we actually had to split our back room which was the office/exercise room in half to accommodate the nursery.

It has been a lesson in space saving and space maximizing for me. I am not in any way shape or form interior design minded so this has been a bit of a challenge for me. I had to make compromises and change my original "baby utopia" plan I started out with when I found out I was pregnant.

                                                    **Books, table, toys etc**

But as I said, compromises were made. For instance, our office desk and computer are still in the nursery. This is due in fact to a couple of reasons. First, the desk is a huge white corner desk from IKEA and it weighs a ton. Hubby did not want to move it and honestly there is nowhere else in the house it would fit and not look like a monstrosity. Secondly, with all the computer and other pieces of technology my husband has hooked up over in this corner I didn't think we would be able to reassemble all the wires, etc before the baby arrives!! Besides, the fact that the office equipment is on the desk, we also have a TV on the top portion and I figured in the end if the baby was going to be up at night and I was going to be out here may as well have the ease of access to the Internet and late night TV programming.

                      **2 Swings! One is for the Nursery and one   is for the living room!**(You can see our treadmill is still there!LOL)

Second compromise I had to make in the nursery was the exercise equipment. The original game plan was to move ALL the equipment out to the garage. Hubby bought a really nice heater and was going to have that installed for his workshop out there anyway. So we sectioned off the garage --front half is his workshop and the back half is the exercise area. Heater is in we just need the propane and the last bit of hooking up.

We moved the heavy ass weight machine out of the nursery and into the garage, and we moved the elliptical machine out in the garage, and Hubby is getting a heavy bag for out there too. However, as much as we got done in that department there seems to be some sort of issue over the last component parts for the heater out there. At this point it looks like we will not have the exercise portion of the garage done for the winter.

Which leads to my second big compromise in the nursery. The Treadmill. Yes, the treadmill is still in the nursery. Hubby runs 3 miles on it every morning before going to work. I, of course will have my butt on it after the baby arrives. It is not like we do not use the equipment...we do! However, my vision of a baby nursery did not really include a huge ass treadmill in the corner. But oh well compromises are made. So the Treadmill stays for the winter at least. Which on a positive I guess gives me no excuse to not work out every day!

                                                    **Crib with the playpen pieces in it--still organizing away!! See the end of the futon??? Cozy nursery!!**

Third compromise I made had to do with not getting a rocking chair or a glider. Again, like I said we have a tiny house and not much room for maneuvering big pieces of furniture. Back here we have a futon that was just bought before we found out I was pregnant. Its great because we don't have a guest room so when Hubby's mom came down from the mountains or my dad comes up from Florida we had a place for them to stay. I liked it ...we spent a pretty penny on it and it was cozy. However, we have nowhere else to put it and I was not storing it in the garage so compromise number three was made. I have no rocker but a really cozy futon that I just covered to match the nursery theme.

                       **A Dr. Seuss Growth Chart!**

So here I am working away on my little nursery and it seems like it is all starting to come together and look like an actual baby nursery. And I am sitting out here yesterday and the teenager comes in and looks around and says "Huh, none of the baby stuff matches. The stroller is black with plaid, the playpen is tan, the nursery stuff is Dr. Seuss and that play mat thingy is an ocean." Then she walks out. Ummmm can you say deflated??? I wanted to cry. Here I am spending the last few weeks stressing over this nursery trying to get it done and then she says that and I feel like everything is ghetto. Gosh, I hope it is just the end stages of pregnancy but I wanted to cry and then I wanted to slap her. But I didn't do either. I just kept plugging along back here trying to make it cozy and inviting as best I know how. Siiighhh.


                   **I love this book and this banner!!**

We pretty much had to get everything ourselves to begin with. My baby shower was extremely tiny due to many family issues and honestly I am not trying to sound ungrateful or greedy but we just didn't get much. We got lots of little things but all the big things were on us to buy and it has taken all summer to get everything in order. I just felt like yesterday all my hard work was for naught and that made me very sad. I don't want to be sad! This is supposed to be the most joyful time of my life and I feel like I am just overly stressed about the whole thing.


                     **Organizing the changing table**

Hopefully in the next few days the nursery will be completely set up and I will be able to relax and enjoy these last couple of weeks of my pregnancy. How did you handle the last few weeks of your pregnancies??

Much luv!!(And pictures of the completed Nursery will be posted soon!!!)
Laura

4 comments:

  1. I think it's cute! I am a firm believer in decorating with what makes me happy (and doesn't offend the hubby!) Nothing needs to match!

    When my daughter was born, I was in the Navy, so I was renting an apartment. Didn't get to paint it all cute for her and it was decorated in thrift store finds. She grew up just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This page iswhere I got the most useful information for my information gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve had your blog in my bookmarks for a couple of days now and just wanted to say that I really love your articles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the blog, it looks great. I am going to save it and will make sure to visit weekly.

    ReplyDelete